Grilled Paella. Paella, the classic grilled rice dish from Spain, is perfect for a barbecue because everything cooks together in one pan and absorbs the smoky flavor from the fire. Read the recipe two or three times before you get started and, the first time you make the paella, make sure you have everything ready before even you. This paella mixta combines seafood paella with chicken and chorizo paella for a mouth-watering combination of meats and vegetables.
This version is rich and smoky with chorizo, tomato, and paprika, savory from chicken. Prepare a grill for medium heat. To cook this seafood-and-chorizo paella, use the grill as both a stovetop and an oven, simultaneously using direct and indirect heat. You can cook Grilled Paella using 20 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Grilled Paella
- It’s 6 Tbsp of olive oil.
- You need 1 lb of boneless skinless chicken thighs, halved.
- It’s 1/2 lb of raw shrimp, shelled and deveined.
- Prepare 1 tsp of garlic powder.
- It’s 1 tsp of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Chipotle powder.
- It’s 1 lb of Spanish style chorizo.
- It’s 1-2 lbs of mussels, scrubbed.
- Prepare 1 of onion, diced.
- It’s 6 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 cup of roasted red peppers, chopped.
- You need 3 cups of arborio rice.
- You need 4 cups of chicken stock.
- You need 8 oz of clam juice.
- It’s 1 Tbsp of seafood soup base (Penzeys).
- It’s 2/3 cup of dry sherry.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1 cup of frozen peas.
- It’s 1 of lemon, wedged.
- It’s 2 sprigs of rosemary.
A wide variety of paella grill options are available to you. Paella is Spain's most famous dish. Fundamentally paella is all about the rice – short grained Spanish rice is ideal, absorbing the broth without breaking apart. A live fire lends Spain's beloved rice dish subtle smoke and a beautifully caramelized crust, but it can make evenly cooking the other elements a challenge.
Grilled Paella instructions
- Combine the paprika and the chipotle. Half the seasoning between two small bowls. In one half portion, add the garlic powder, along with a tsp of salt. Use this garlic/pepper seasoning to season the chicken and shrimp. Scrub the muscles or clams, and discard any that are open (they're dead)..
- Prep everything before hand. Start a full chimney of charcoal..
- Evenly lay out your chimney of coals. Add 10-20 unlit briquettes on top of the lit coals. You'll need this extra fuel to keep the cook going. If you're roasting your own peppers, now is the time to blacken them on the grill..
- Grill your chicken only until it starts to show grill marks..
- Remove the chicken and roasted red peppers. The peppers steam and are peeled and roughly chopped. You can just use jarred roasted pepper if you want..
- Place a large roasting pan on the grill. Add the oil and heat until shimmering..
- Add the onions, minced garlic, and red peppers to the pan. Place the chorizo on the edges to sear. Remove them as soon as they brown..
- When the vegetables begin to stick to the bottom add the remaining half portion of paprika/chipotle. Stir to combine..
- Add the rice and stir to coat. If needed add a little more oil. Continue to cook until the rice begins to toast..
- Add the stock all at once. Follow by placing the chicken around the edges of the pan. Followed by the sausages moving to the center. Place the shrimp in the middle in a layer. Wedge the lemons into the broth and place the rosemary into the broth. (I added the mussels here, but they should be added later). Cover and cook with all vents fully open for 20 min. I had a few cherry tomatoes and threw them in too..
- After 20 min, wedge the mussels (or clams) into the rice. Sprinkle with frozen peas, and cook another 20 min. The mussels should open and release their juices. Adding them later will ensure they're not overcooked. Serve in big bowls..
This can be cooked over any heat source – gas For summer backyard entertaining, Eduardo Balaguer recommends throwing a paella pan on top of a. Taste our Shrimp Paella recipe tonight. The Paella Is in The Pan Shrimp Paella The perfect pan for paella is wide, shallow and round. In a saucepan bring water to a boil. Paella is a Spanish rice dish originally from Valencia.