Greek Souvlaki ＆ Tzatziki Sauce. Add chicken, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Like Kabobs, the word Souvlaki simply means "meat on skewers." But Greeks also use it to describe the actual meal—warm pita, loaded with perfectly marinated grilled meat and topped with Tzatziki sauce. Other fixings are typically included, and even a handful of fries are tucked into the pita.
As authentic as they come, but I've pared it down a bit to fit my small family's needs. Chicken Souvlaki features the fresh-tasting combination of lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil that is so prevalent in Greek cuisine. Serve it alongside a Greek salad of chunked tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, and feta cheese. You can cook Greek Souvlaki ＆ Tzatziki Sauce using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Greek Souvlaki ＆ Tzatziki Sauce
- It’s of Souvlaki (skewers).
- It’s 300 grams of Chicken thighs.
- You need 1 of Salt and pepper.
- You need 1 tbsp of ★ Soy sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of ★ Lemon juice.
- You need 1 tbsp of ★ Balsamic vinegar.
- You need 1/2 tsp of ★ Oregano.
- Prepare 1 clove of ★ Garlic (grated).
- Prepare of Tzatziki.
- It’s 100 grams of Sour cream (or drained yogurt).
- Prepare 1 clove of Garlic.
- It’s 4 of cm Cucumber.
- Prepare 1 of generous amount Salt and pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ※ Lemon juice.
Tzatziki is a traditional Greek yogurt-based sauce flavored with lemon, garlic, and crisp cucumbers. The meat is marinated with Mediterranean herbs such as thyme, rosemary, and oregano. The meat is served in handmade pita bread, along with fries, tomatoes and red onion and, of course, tzatziki sauce. Souvlaki is linked to the Greek word souvla (meaning spit), and the origins of the Greek kebab dish date back to ancient Greece.
Greek Souvlaki ＆ Tzatziki Sauce instructions
- Prick the chicken with a fork in several places, sprinkle generously with salt and pepper, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Salt well, or the flavor will dissipate..
- Combine the ★ ingredients to make the sauce. Put the sauce and the meat in a bag and marinate for at least 2 hours. If possible, let it marinate overnight for the flavors to soak in well..
- Add the grated garlic, lemon juice (olive oil), salt and pepper to the sour cream (drained yogurt). Refer to the ※ notation below the ingredients list..
- Soak the skewers in water for about 5 minutes to prevent them from burning. Thread the meat onto the skewers. You can also grill the meat as is, without skewers..
- Grill until well browned, or bake in a 200℃ oven for 15 minutes, turning them once. They're fantastic cooked on a barbecue..
- Arrange the souvlaki, rice, vegetables such as cucumbers or tomatoes, and the sauce on serving plates and it's ready! Dip the meat and vegetables in the sauce and enjoy..
- Oregano is the key ingredient to this dish's ethnic flavor. Keep it on hand for use in all kinds of ethnic cooking, such as Italian, Mexican, or Greek..
- Try the standard accompaniment to Souvlaki: "Oregano-scented Addictive Lemon Potatoes". https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/154399-oregano-greek-lemon-potatoes.
- I recommend eating the chicken without the sauce first, then dipping it in the sauce to enjoy two different tastes..
- To drain the yogurt, just leave it in a coffee filter overnight. The yogurt version is healthier..
A very appetizing, savory sauce that is almost always served with kebabs or souvlaki. It can also be served with baked potatoes, any meats and is surprisingly refreshing as a dip for vegetables!! Peel the cucumber and grate with a cheese grater, using the large blades. Tzatziki – A Greek Mother's Sauce. Our Best Greek Recipes By: Carl Hanson.