Edokko Zouni (Tokyo-style Mochi Soup). Ozouni (Mochi Rice Cake Soup for New Years) Great recipe for Edokko Zouni (Tokyo-style Mochi Soup). This is our family recipe for 'ozouni', taught to me by my mother, who was born in downtown Tokyo. Ozouni (Mochi Rice Cake Soup for New Years) Ozoni (Japanese New Year Mochi Soup) is an important dish for the Japanese New Year.
Recipe by Torakopantsu The Kanto region: a rectangular-shaped mochi is grilled/toasted before being added to the soup. The Kansai region: a round-shaped mochi is cooked in boiling water before being added to the soup. However, as more people started to live in the Tokyo area, it was too much work making the mochi into the round shape by hands. You can have Edokko Zouni (Tokyo-style Mochi Soup) using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Edokko Zouni (Tokyo-style Mochi Soup)
- Prepare 800 ml of Dashi stock.
- It’s 4 of Square mochi.
- It’s 150 grams of Chicken thigh meat.
- Prepare 1 of ◇Spinach or komatsuna.
- You need 4 slice of ◇Naruto or kamaboko.
- Prepare 1 dash of ◇Ito-mitsuba – mitsuba with long white stems.
- You need 1 dash of ◇Yuzu peel.
- Prepare of The flavoring ingredients.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Cooking sake.
- You need 1 dash of Mirin.
- You need 1 of to less then 2 tablespoons Soy sauce.
- You need 1 pinch of Salt.
Ozouni (Mochi Rice Cake Soup for New Years) Ozoni お雑煮 is Japanese New Year mochi soup. It is a traditional soup that Japanese people eat on New year's days. Every household has their own special recipes which are passed down from generation to generation. It is certainly a hearty and filling soup to get through the cold Japanese weather on New year's days.
Edokko Zouni (Tokyo-style Mochi Soup) step by step
- Cut the chicken into small pieces. Warm up the dashi stock (made with konbu seaweed, bonito flakes etc.) and add the cut chicken. Heat, and when it comes to the boil add the sake, mirin and soy sauce. Season with salt..
- Toast the square mochi in a toaster oven or on a grill..
- Quickly boil the spinach in salted water, cool in cold water and squeeze out tightly. Cut into easy-to-eat lengths. Cut the mitsuba into easy-to-eat sized pieces..
- Put a piece of grilled mochi in a miso soup bowl, then pour in the soup from step 1 and add the ◇ ingredients..
- I made matsuba-yuzu (yuzu peel cut to look like pine needes) for New Years..
We're making Ozoni, Japanese Mochi Soup, whose clear soup gives it a beautiful presentation. This excellent dashi broth is full of umami coming from kombu seaweed and bonito flakes. [recipe] Zōni, often with the honorific "o-" as o-zōni, is a Japanese soup containing mochi rice cakes. The dish is strongly associated with the Japanese New Year and. Season the broth with the soy sauce and salt. To serve: Pour a bit of soup into each bowl, to prevent the mochi from sticking to the bowl, then add the mochi, then the chicken, daikon, and carrot.