Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf. Sticky rice dumplings (zongzi in Chinese) are common throughout Southeast Asia―both savory and sweet versions. This savory recipe is like having a full meal all wrapped up in one neat little package, featuring a healthy chicken and shiitake mushroom filling wrapped up in banana leaves and either. Take another leaf and wrap it around the cone, close the cone by folding in the two sides.
Love, love, love to you and yours. Coconut Sticky Rice in Banana Leaves A soy-free version of the Chinese Sticky Rice dumplings wrapped in bamboo leaves, known as Joong, or Zhongzi that are traditionally eaten in. You can cook Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf using 20 ingredients and 19 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf
- You need 4 of chicken thighs, skinless and boneless, cut into small 1/4" chunks.
- You need 1 of chicken breast, skinless, cut into 1/4" chunks.
- Prepare of Marinade.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of soy sauce.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of oyster sauce.
- It’s 2 of shallots, sliced thin.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sake.
- It’s 1 tbsp of chili-garlic sauce.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of chinese five spice.
- You need 1/4 tsp of fish sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of fresh ground pepper.
- You need 1 tbsp of ginger paste or minced ginger.
- It’s 1 tsp of onion powder.
- It’s 2 tsp of corn starch.
- Prepare 2 cups of thai sticky rice (see description for notes).
- Prepare 200 g of shiitake mushrooms, destemmed and sliced thin.
- It’s 3 tbsp of sesame oil.
- It’s 3 tbsp of peanut oil (or other frying oil).
- You need 3 of large banana leaves.
- It’s of bamboo skewerd.
The sticky rice is wrapped with all kinds of fillings in a wrapper (usually bamboo, reed, or banana leaves) and then boiled or steamed. The savory zongzi are filled salted or chashu pork, salted egg, fish, chicken, mushrooms, or beans. Just like for dumpling fillings, there are countless combinations. The leaf-wrapped sticky rice dumplings zongzi (in Mandarin) or joong (Cantonese) are a snack enjoyed year-round in China, though they are especially popular in the spring.
Sticky Rice Chicken Dumplings Wrapped in Banana Leaf instructions
- Combine chicken, shallots and marinade ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for one hour up to 4 hours..
- Put rice in a large bowl and submerge fully in water. Let soak for at least one hour up to 3..
- After at least an hour of soaking, drain the water from the rice and add 2 cups fresh water and 2 tbsp soy sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to barely maintain a simmer. Cover the rice and cook for 20 minutes..
- Put 1/2 tbsp of sesame oil and peanut oil each in a wok over medium high heat. When the oil starts to smoke add half of the mushrooms. Cook until golden brown. Remove and set aside. Then do the other half of the mushrooms..
- Reduce heat to medium and add another 1/2 tsp of each of the oils and add 1/3 of chicken mix. Cook until golden brown..
- We are cooking in batches as to not crowd the pan. So you'll repeat thos twice more with thw remaining chicken. When the pan gets dry add a couple tablespoons of sake rather than oil..
- Combine the stir fried chicken and mushrooms. Toss and set aside..
- While you're waiting for the rice to finish prepare your banana leaves. Cut 4 sheets about 18 inches long and another four sheets about 10 inches long..
- After 20 minutes test the rice for doneness by scooping out a small hole in the middle. If all the water is done you're good to go. Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature..
- Place one long sheet and one short sheet of leaf down on a flat surafce perpendicular to each other..
- Take a handful of rice and pat it down into a circular base. You're looking for about 1/4 inch thick and 8 inches in diameter..
- Spoon the chicken mix onto the rice. Leave about 1/4 inch around the perimeter of the rice uncovered..
- Take another handful and cover the chicken, making a dome..
- Fold the sides of the banana leaves in lengrhwise..
- Bring in the top of the leaf as of you were folding a present. Secure by weaving the skewere through the layers of leaves. Break off the excess..
- Repeat with the bottom..
- Finish the other 3 dumplings. You can now refrigerate these for up to four days, or go straight to heating if you're ready to eat..
- Heat the banana leaves over low heat on a grill. About 10 minutes each side. Alternatively you can put the leaves in an oven at 325F for 20 minutes..
The long bamboo leaves are filled with either sweet or savory ingredients, and often made and enjoyed by families in the weeks. PANTRY: Frozen banana leaves are available in markets with a Central or South American clientele. For convenience, Rebecca keeps a packet of banana leaves in the freezer and thaws them just before use. Parchment paper can be used instead of banana leaves, but the flavor will be less interesting. Zongzi ([tsʊ̂ŋ.tsɨ]; Chinese: 粽子) is a traditional Chinese rice dish made of glutinous rice stuffed with different fillings and wrapped in bamboo leaves, generally of the species Indocalamus tessellatus.