Jamaican Jerk Chicken. Find Jamaican Jerk Chicken Recipe Now! Hot, succulent Jamaican Jerk Chicken is a tropical treat. You'll love the heat and flavor of this fiery marinade.
It is probably the most recognized dish that has come out of Jamaica. It is by far the most requested dish by tourists when they visit Jamaica. Smash the allspice as fine as possible using a mortar and pestle. You can cook Jamaican Jerk Chicken using 17 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Jamaican Jerk Chicken
- It’s 4 of chicken thighs or legs; bone-in.
- Prepare 5 bunch of scallions; trimmed.
- Prepare 4 of habanero peppers; tops trimmed.
- You need 1 of yellow onion; rough chop.
- Prepare 3 clove of garlic; minced.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of vegetable oil.
- It’s 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar.
- You need 2 tbsp of ground allspice.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh thyme; minced.
- It’s 1 tbsp of brown sugar.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of cinnamon.
- It’s 1 tbsp of ground coriander seed.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of white pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of ground cloves.
- It’s 1 tsp of nutmeg.
- Prepare 1 of juice and zest of one lime.
- You need 1 of salt.
In a large casserole with a lid, combine all ingredients except chicken. Add chicken, stirring to coat well. Move the chicken to a barbecue grill when the fire is at it's lowest. Cover the barbecue grill with the lid.
Jamaican Jerk Chicken step by step
- Place all ingredients except chicken and oil in a food processor. Slowly pour in the vegetable oil while blades are spinning..
- Use half of the sauce to marinate the chicken from 4-48 hours..
- Wipe marinade off chicken and pat dry. Toss chicken with just enough oil to cover. Season with salt and pepper..
- If using a grill, set chicken skin side down to sear. Move chicken to a spot with indirect heat and baste chicken often..
- If cooking indoors, mark on a grill plate or sear the chicken skin side down in a large saute pan. Turn chicken over and baste with the remaining sauce. Throw the pan in a 350° oven for approximately 30-40 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°.
- Alternatively, place chicken skin side up in a casserole dish and cover with the remaining sauce. Bake at 350° approximately 50 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°.
Chop meat into pieces, and serve. Jerk Chicken is served traditionally with any of the following Jamaican hard-dough bread, Rice & Peas, Fried Ripe Plantains, and Festival. Jamaican Jerk Chicken – a well-seasoned grilled chicken with a Jamaican jerk marinade that has the perfect balance of heat, sweet and savory. You'll want to make this all year round! And I'm in the mood for Jerk.